All Bangladeshi nationals need valid Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) to travel abroad. The Bangladesh High Commission Ottawa issues and re-issues MRP to bonafide Bangladeshi nationals following due procedure of the Government of Bangladesh.
Category # 1 Applicants
Applicants under this category are for
* Hand written passport holders or
* Minors who were younger than 12 years old when they obtained their existing MRP,
* Applicants born outside Bangladesh but entitled to obtain a Bangladesh Passport by Descent, they have to Visit the High Commission Office in Ottawa in person for Picture and Biometrics update in addition to the required documents as detailed below.
Category # 2 Applicants
Applicants under this category are who have MRP ( Machine Readable Computer written passport) and want to,
* Get Reissue of their passport or
* Make Correction on their Passport or
* Make Alteration on their passport such as Marital status/names , emergency contact or any other information deed to be altered , can apply in person or via postal mail by just submitting application form and other required supporting documents as detailed below without necessarily submitting their biometric data or visiting the High Commission. The High Commission strongly recommends mailers to use Canada Post mail.
Please note that the guidelines provided in this page are indicative. The High Commission reserves the right to request for any additional document at any stage or call the applicant in person for scrutiny by the Consular Officer before rendering any service
Procedures and Required Documents
Applying for a Machine-Readable Passport (MRP) and detail requirements
The following sections provide guidelines on how to apply for a Machine-Readable Passport (MRP). Please note that the guidelines provided in this page are indicative. The High Commission reserves the right to request for any additional document at any stage for scrutiny by the Consular Officer before rendering any service.
Step A: Requirement for MRP Application:
1) If you are a Category # 1 applicant (follow steps 1 to 8 except 3), you have to visit the High Commission Office in Ottawa and are required to give biometric data, fill and submit the duly online application form using the website http://www.passport.gov.bd and bring the print out to the High Commission, (see the note below about the form)
2) Bring a copy of Online Birth Registration Certificate containing 17-digit Birth Registration Number (BRN) or National ID card is required. If you don’t have both, you may apply for your BRN in the High commission during your passport application,
3) If you are a Category # 2 applicant (follow steps 3 to 8, Jump steps 1 & 2), you are not required to give biometric data or BRN so Print and fill the one page application form DIP Form 2 from the website http://www.passport.gov.bd (see the note below about the form)
4) Providing/Submiting the original Bangladesh passport is required for both Categories (for both hand written or MRP holders), in the case of lost, police report lodged in local police station is mandatory,
5) A copy of the existing passport is required (pages containing personal information only),
6) Two recently taken photographs of the applicant (size: 45 mm x 35 mm),
7) In Case of any Correction or Alteration on existing MRP, applicant must provide a legal supporting document. (For instance, if some one needs to make any change in his/her Marital status, he/she needs to provide copy of supporting Document of Marriage or Divorce Certificate). In case of applicant’s failure of submit proper supporting document will delay the processing time.
8) At your convenient, you can pick up your passport from the High Commission on the time suggested by the High Commission or provide paid express return envelope with applicant’s full and correct address in case of service delivery through mail. The High Commission bears no responsibility for delay or failure of delivery if that mentioned address is wrong or incomplete.
* Please DO NOT forget to sign your application and write payment details on part provided on your application.
Note: 2 - On any of application forms,
* Name of Division will be Bangladesh High Commission, Ottawa,
* USD and CAD are the same. Delete USD and Write CAD,
* Bank/Mission is the Institution you may order a Bank Draft from, (TD Bank ,RBC, Canada Post,etc...)
* Branch is the branch name or number where the draft is prepared,
* All information to fill under payment of fee section of the form will be available on your Bank/postal Draft,
* Write your current address and phone number on the top the application for further communication.
Note : 3 - For Category # 1, when they fill their online form,
Step-B: Submission of MRP application
Payment and processing times
Step C: MRP Fee, payment methods and processing Times
For all types of Passport services,
*Subject to arrival of the passport from Dhaka
Mode of Payment
1) The MRP fee has to be paid by Bank Draft/Pay Order/ Postal order in favour of Bangladesh High Commission, Ottawa, Canada.
2) The applicant can also pay by Credit/ Debit Card in favour of Bangladesh High Commission by being present at the High Commission office in Ottawa.
3) No personal check or cash is accepted.
Processing time and fees for Reissue of Machine Readable Passport:
Within 6 to 8 weeks (minimum), depending on arrival of the passport from Dhaka.
Within 4 weeks (minimum), depending on arrival of the passport from Dhaka.
Subject to arrival of the passport from Dhaka
Subject to arrival of the passport from Dhaka
Step-D- Biometric Enrolment Process:
At the MRP enrolment booth, applicant’s Finger Prints, Electronic Signature and Photograph will be taken during the enrollment for Category # 1 applicants.
After completion of the enrolment process, the High Commission electronically sends data and necessary documents to the Department of Immigration and Passport (DIP) in Dhaka. DIP then prints the new MRP after completion of necessary verification and sends it back to the High Commission by courier service. Following electronic authentication, the High Commission delivers the MRP in person or by post as desired by the applicant. The whole procedure may take approximately 30 Business days.
Delivery of the passport
After completion of the enrolment process, the High Commission gives the applicant a tentative date of delivery of Machine-Readable Passport. The passport is printed in Dhaka and later sent to the Mission. The whole procedure may take at least 30 Business days.
Checking status of MRP issuance:
Applicants can contact the High Commission if their application has passed Eight weeks of Regular processing time or Four weeks of Express processing time since it has been delivered at the High Commission office.
During your contact, you will be prompted to provide the following information.
Please make sure either of the following info. is with you when you contact to us.
* Enrollment ID number (CAN10000000XXXXX),
* Passport number,
* First and Last name,
* And for security purposes, you may be asked for Date of Birth,
We are experiencing higher volume of calls and these calls will affect the processing time of your application to be delayed.
For hand Pick,
The applicant may come to the High Commission in person, along with existing Bangladesh Passport /personal identification and/or delivery slip to receive New MRP from the counter. However, before visiting the High Commission counter, the applicant is strongly advised to obtain confirmation from the High Commission about arrival of the MRP from Bangladesh.
Common delays of your application,
Please note: Incomplete form will not be processed and the High Commission will not be held responsible for such applications.