Visa Info & Procedure
Citizens of most countries require valid visa to enter Bangladesh. The Bangladesh High Commission in Ottawa, Canada determines the type and category of visa and duration of stay upon receiving an application. The types and categories differ according to the purpose of visit, length of stay and bilateral arrangements with the country of the foreign national.
Canadian nationals may get visa on arrival to travel to Bangladesh. Canadian nationals along with foreign nationals residing in Canada can apply for Visa at Bangladesh High Commission in Ottawa, Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and Nicaraguan citizens are also accredited to this mission.
Application procedure for Visa:
To obtain a visa the applicant must submit the following:
1. One copy of duly filled out, signed and dated Visa Application Form for each applicant.
(Then take a print down of the application. If there occurs problem in uploading your photograph, you may separately attach it with your application.
a. 2 (Two) 45mm X 35mm photographs taken within the last six months.
b. Passport must be valid for at least six months.
c. For Canadian nationals Visa Fee is CAN$100 (single entry) and CAN$200 (multiple entry).
d. Depending upon the purpose of visit, the following additional documents may be required:
• Tourist Visa: Travel itinerary/Air ticket Reservation or Hotel reservation or a Letter of Invitation from the host in Bangladesh.
• Business Visa: Letter of Invitation from the host company in Bangladesh clearly stating the purpose of the visit and letter of the employer in Canada.
• Work Visa: Letter of employment from the employer in Bangladesh and letter of concurrence from concerned Ministry or Board of Investment (BOI) or Bangladesh Export Processing Zone (BEPZA), as the case may be.
To work in a non-governmental organization (NGO), the applicant should furnish a copy of the letter of appointment from the NGO with attestation by the Bangladesh NGO Affairs Bureau, Dhaka.
• Student Visa: Letter from the concerned educational institution duly attested by the Bangladesh Ministry of Education, Dhaka and Certificate of financial guarantee.
• Investor Visa: Letter of recommendation from the Bangladesh Ministry of Industries or the Board of Investment (BOI) or Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority (BEPZA), Dhaka.
• Missionary Visa: Letter of appointment from the Church and “No Objection” from the Bangladesh Ministry of Religious Affairs, Dhaka.
• Diplomatic and official visa: Note Verbale or letter from the concerned government office or the Diplomatic Mission
• Journalist Visa: Letter of request from the employer/news agency clearly stating the purpose of the visit. Please note that the minimum processing time for this category of visa is 3 weeks. Persons/ Network/Organization requesting for shooting /filming in Bangladesh are required to fill in a specific Form (FF-1 and FF-2) in addition to the visa application form.
Please note that after scrutiny of documents, the Consular Officer may request for an interview and/or submission of additional documents. . The High Commission may accept or reject any application for visa.
Mode of Payment:
1) The payment has to be made in the form of Bank Draft/Pay Order/ Postal order to Bangladesh High Commission, Ottawa, Canada.
2) The applicant who will be in the High Commission office can avail the opportunity to pay by Credit/ Debit Card.
Visa on Arrival (VOA):
This facility is available for foreign nationals including those of Bangladeshi origin and the nationals of countries where there is no Diplomatic Mission of Bangladesh.
The Visa on Arrival is delivered after examining the genuineness of the purpose of visit, such as: Official duty, Business/trade, Investment and potential investors and Tourism.
The issuance of visa on arrival is entirely dependent on the satisfaction of the immigration officers at the port of entry (i.e. airports, land ports etc.) after examining all relevant documents.
Bangladeshi origin foreign citizens, their spouses and their offspring may also be issued visa on arrival, on the proof of their being Bangladeshi origin.
Officers and Staff of foreign Diplomatic Missions, United Nations or its affiliates organizations located in Bangladesh may be issued visa on arrival upon presenting their official letters of appointment or other related documents. Only U.N. passport holders will get a visa on arrival free of charge.
Procedure and fees for VOA:
1- Visa fees are to be paid in foreign currencies, such as US dollars, GB pound, Euro etc.
2- Visitors must possess a minimum of USD 500 or its equivalent amount of foreign currency in Cash or Credit card.
3- Visitors must have return tickets. As some airlines may not allow passengers to get on board without visa, visitors are hereby advised to check with their specific airlines to find out the case.
4- Visitors must have the necessary documents to justify his/her visit. These documents are similar to those needed for a visa application at the High Commission.
5- The fee for VOA will be applicable on the basis of reciprocity only.
Duration: Visa on arrival for eligible travellers will be given for a period of maximum 30 days.
Extension of the VOA: If required, the VOA can be extended by the Department of Immigration and Passports Authority, in light of the existing visa policy.